Free tutoring is available to students at the CVCC Learning Assistance Center.
Online or in-person tutoring is a free service provided by the Learning Assistance Center where curriculum students may drop in and receive help in math, science, accounting, programming, and more. No appointment is needed.
Any student, regardless of class average, may seek assistance during the posted hours.
Follow these tips for a successful tutoring session:
- First, read the section(s) in which you are having trouble.
- Attempt as many of the problems as you can throughout the assignment before dropping in or visiting us online through virtual tutoring.
- Bring specific questions and all attempted work with you to the tutoring session.
This service is to help curriculum students with concepts, not homework.
Schedules for Tutoring
RANDALL WILLIAMS-MATH, ENGLISH, ACCOUNTING
Please email Randal Williams to set up a virtual tutoring session.
- Monday through Thursday: 8:00 AM – 1:00 PM and 2:00 PM – 5:30 PM (In-person and virtual)
DAVID PROPST-MATH, PHYSICS, PROGRAMMING
Please email David Propst to set up a virtual tutoring session.
- Monday through Thursday: 8:00 AM – 11:30 AM and 12:30 – 6:00 PM (In-person and virtual)
JOSHUA KUGEL-BIOLOGY, CHEMISTRY
Please email Joshua Kugel to set up a virtual tutoring session.
- Monday through Thursday: 8:00 AM – 12:00 PM and 1:00 PM – 6:00 PM (In-person and virtual)
Please email Stephanie Hays to set up a virtual tutoring session.
- Monday: 10:30 AM -2:15 PM (In-person and virtual)
- Tuesday: 10:30 AM -2:15 PM (In-person and virtual)
- Wednesday:10:30 AM -2:15 PM (In-person and virtual) and (5:00 PM-8:00 PM virtual only)
- Thursday: 10:30 AM -2:15 PM (In-person and virtual)
ABOUT THE LEARNING SKILLS SPECIALISTS
Learning Assistance Center is staffed by educators to give one on one assistance.
|Stephanie Hays is a native of Catawba County. She earned a Bachelor of Arts in mathematics at Lenoir-Rhyne University. She earned a Master of Arts in mathematics education from Appalachian State University. Stephanie taught mathematics at local high schools prior to joining the team at CVCC. She began teaching at CVCC in 2012. She is currently the Transition Center Coordinator and a Math Learning Skills Specialist for the LAC.|
|(828) 327-7000, ext. 4732
|David Propst is a full-time Learning Skills Specialist, working in the Learning Assistance Center on the first floor of the CAD building. He earned a Bachelor of Science in computer science and has a background in industrial automation. David provides learning assistance in physics, math (through calculus I), engineering, networking, computer science (programming C++, Java, Visual C++, etc.), operating systems, and 3D computer graphics (Maya, Blender, etc.). David also provides assistive technology and training on assistive equipment and software for qualified students.|
(828) 327-7000, ext. 4384
Randall "Randy" Williams provides tutorial help for accounting and math students. He earned a Bachelor of Arts in accounting at Lenoir-Rhyne College and a Master of Science in accounting from Appalachian State University. Randy has taught or is teaching ACC 120, 121, 140, 150, 220, 221, and 269; MAT 060 and 070. (DMA 010 to DMA 065).
|828) 327-7000, ext. 4524
Joshua Kugel is a Red Hawk. After graduating in 2009 with an Associate in Science from CVCC, Josh continued to the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill earning a baccalaureate degree in chemistry in 2011. Josh is currently engaged in earning a Master of Science degree in chemistry anticipating his completion in Spring of 2024. Josh offers learning support services to impact student success in all areas of chemistry offered at CVCC. Josh also helps with biology classes including BIO-110, BIO-111, BIO-112, BIO-168, BIO-169, BIO-175, and BIO-275.
|(828) 327-7000, ext 4012