Apply Now For Residency Determination, CVCC Application, and the FAFSA
Three Step Application Process
NC Residency, CVCC Application, and FAFSA
You must complete the NC Residency Interview (Step 1) before completing the CVCC Application (Step 2). If you plan to apply for financial aid, complete the FAFSA - Free Application for Federal Student Aid (Step 3).
Complete your NC Residency Interview to receive a Residency Certification Number (RCN)
Tips for Residency Classification
The state of North Carolina determines residency for in state or out of state tuition charges via the Residency Determination Service (RDS). Students are required to complete the RDS online interview before submitting an Application. Here are some tips (including a list of documentation you may need) to complete the online interview:
- The average RDS online interview may take 15-20 minutes or longer to complete.
- You may exit the residency interview and resume later, but you have only 25 days from “start to finish”. If you do not complete the interview (including submission of any documentation) within 25 days, you will be required to start over.
- If you have already completed the online interview for another college, you will not have to complete another. Enter your Residency Certification Number (RCN) when prompted on the college Application.
- As residency status is determined by the RDS at the state level, Catawba Valley Community College staff are unable to assist applicants with residency issues.
Before submitting the Application:
- Submit official transcripts to CVCC
- Know your Residency Certification Number (RCN)
- Check out the Focus 2 career planner if you don't know what Program of Study to choose on the Application
After submitting the Application:
- Wait at least TWO full business days before bringing your valid, government issued photo ID to Student Services
- In Student Services, you'll have a personalized visit with an Admissions staff member. This visit is required to activate your Application and prepare for registration.
- No appointment is necessary.
Complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) if you wish to apply for Financial Aid and/or scholarships
All degree seeking students should consider submitting the FAFSA to determine financial aid eligibility. Some programs of study may not be eligible for Financial Aid or Veterans benefits.The FAFSA code for CVCC is 005318.
Note: In compliance with federal regulations, a government issued photo ID is required for all financial aid inquiries. The College is unable to accept a copy of an ID or any kind of photograph/cell phone image of an ID.
Important Note about the Application Process: The entire enrollment process may take several days to several weeks depending on a student's planning and attention to the process.
Important Note about Photo IDs: The most popular form of government issued photo ID is a valid driver’s license. In addition, students may present a NC ID card (from DMV), military ID, current passport or permanent resident card. In compliance with federal regulations, a government issued photo ID is required for all financial aid inquiries. The College is unable to accept a copy of an ID or any kind of photograph/cell phone image of an ID.
For more information about RDS, check out the "FAQs" section of the NC Residency website.
Student Services office hours vary on days when CVCC students are not in class or near/during holidays. Please call ahead to confirm office hours to avoid disappointment (828) 327-7000, ext. 4216.